Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Truth Behind It All - Chapter 1.6


As the night drew to a close I stood at my front door holding Ryan’s hand in mine. I could feel each and every callous around his fingers and palm, but oddly it felt like his hand fit perfectly in mine. I sighed hoping things could get better with time. Everything that happened back at the bar was still swimming in my mind, and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to talk to my mom. Though I guess I could tell her what horrible taste she had and to never ever set me up again.

Well he says he knew me, but I just can’t seem to recall it just yet. Looking up I gazed into Ryan’s eyes now only wanting to focus on the good… no the best part of the night. My lips still tingled from our kisses back at the bar, and I desperately wished I could stop time.

“Lucy…” He he placed his index finger on his forehead as he gave me his small dorky grin. “I well I just... would you like to go out sometime? You know something maybe a bit more official and just the two of us?” Shrugging he looked into my eyes with hope.

“I’d love that Ryan.” Squeezing his hand I smirked at him as his smile widened. Leaning over he lightly brushed his lips against my cheek.

“I’ll call you tomorrow seeing as it’s what four in the morning right now.” Shaking my head yes, he climbed down my steps and turned back to look at me once more. Waving him good-bye I stepped inside my house and locked the door. Smiling lightly I made my way to my room to get changed into something more comfortable.

Just as I undressed and stepped into my pj’s my phone on the edge of my bed jumped around as it vibrated. Wondering who would be texting me this early in the morning I picked it up and just about dropped it again once I saw Colby’s number displayed across the screen.
Frowning I read the words:
Figure it out yet my dear?
Imagining myself choking him through the phone I chucked it on my bed before I could break it. “No I haven’t figured it out yet.” I mumbled under my breath.

Gnawing on the inside of my cheek I made my way to my old bookcase and rummaged around until I found my old yearbook.

The pages felt old beneath my fingers as I flipped through the slick pages until I found what I was looking for. Colby Turner. His smiling boyish face smiled back at me from the page tauntingly. Suppressed memories glided their way into my thoughts and I pushed them back just as quickly.

Than it all clicked and fell into place. He was the nerdy kid that followed me everywhere I went. He caught me once at one of the school’s football games. I’d just recently broken up with my boyfriend and I was on the verge of tears. He comforted me… than he kissed me.

He always had this overly unhealthy obsession with me way back then. I thought for the longest time he and his family moved to Riverview shortly after high school. Guess I was wrong to think that he wouldn’t come back.

Shifting uneasily I put my yearbook back as I felt my eyelids grow heavy. Dreading sleep I reluctantly made my way to my room and climbed under the covers and hoped I could dream of Ryan, and not the torturing images of Colby which seemed to play behind my eyes each time I closed them.

Awaking in the afternoon I debated if I really wanted to call my mom or not. I was kind of freaked out to do so, I mean it’s not like I could tell her he tried to take advantage of me last night. I think that would go over like a fart in church….

Shrugging I decided to whip up something to eat and watch one of my favorite shows. Just as I sat down a knock at the door almost made me fall off the edge of the couch. Groaning I got back up and went to the front door.

Peering through the small hole in the door I discovered it was none other than my mom. Lovely. Reluctantly I opened the door to see her smile broaden as she let herself in. She began to look around like she was looking for someone. Colby to be exact.

“He’s not here mom, and I don’t think I’ll ever be seeing him again.” I placed my fist on the side of my hip and gave her that whole ‘your horrible at this’ kind of look. She looked slightly stunned and slack jawed which just made matters worse. “I don’t really want to go into it, but let’s just say it was a horrible night.”

“Well it couldn’t have been that horrible honey.” She made her way back to the couch and plopped down causing it to make an odd squeaking noise. “He said he’d seen you around town quite a few times.” Looking over at the TV she sighed.

“Mom, just how is it you met him?” I was intrigued on how exactly he imposed himself to be an innocent watcher from afar kind of guy.

“Well he’s the son of one of my close friends Luc. Mrs. Lisa Turner.” She sounded slightly insulted as she stumbled along her story trying to take hold of her memory. I’ll admit it; my mom is pretty much a lunatic and is pretty much the most absent minded person you’ll ever meet. “Well we were talking about you actually, and she had told me that her son recently became single and was around your age. I of course insisted that I meet him.”

She motioned for me to come sit by here by patting the seat next to her. “He was home and she called out for him to come down so I could meet him. He seemed like such a nice young man.”

I cleared my throat and shook my head. “Mom, did you ever wonder why he already knew my name, and how on earth he could have possible known I was this supposed girl he had seen a few times around town?” More annoyed than ever I raised my eye brows at her as she wrapped her mind around that.

She knitted her eyebrows together as she tried to contemplate the answer. “Why actually no Luc, I didn’t. Do you know him?”

“Yea, mom I do. Well I didn’t until just recently. Last night he told me he knew who I was.” I drew in a deep breath as I decided to skip the part about him trying to take advantage of me. “When I got home, I had to look through my old yearbook, and sure enough it clicked. He used to be that nerdy stalker mom.”
“Oh honey… If I would have known I never would have even set you two up.” She lightly padded my hand as if she needed to reassure me.

“Mom, it’s okay. At first I was mad, but not so much anymore. Want to stay for dinner and watch some TV?” I had plenty of food leftover, and I may as well invite her to stay for a while so she honestly didn’t think I was mad anymore.
Though as we sat there watching TV together and gossiping away I still couldn’t get rid of the odd feeling of something horrible was going to happen.

2 comments:

  1. Great chapter! I hope Ryan stops anything bad from happening again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) Ryan isn't one to be messed with that's for sure. lol

    ReplyDelete