Monday, August 15, 2011

A Thousand Dreams Goodbye - Chapter 1.2

You know the thing is after making a complete idiot of myself that night I wanted to face palm myself.  My friends and I started to walk away as the early morning sun began to rise. Its rays danced across the ocean like fireworks as I gazed back towards Ryan. Our eyes connected for a brief moment before I turned my head away. Maybe I was wrong; he didn’t feel the things I did.
The sound of running in sand filled my ears, but I didn’t want to get my hopes up that it was Ryan coming over to ask for my number. A light touch electrified the skin of my shoulder and I couldn’t help but side glance and see it was in fact Ryan. I guess I didn’t make that big of a fool of myself.
“Umm, you know I was nervous back there at the pit to ask you, but can I have your number? I’d uh..” he stammered a bit which I couldn’t help but giggle. “I’d like to maybe go out on like a group outing or something?”  A bead of sweat slid down his forehead as he swallowed hard.
It was absolutely adorable how nervous and shy he was. “Of course, I’d love that.” A smile broadened across his face and I couldn’t help but reflect the same one.
“Great.” He pulled out his phone and I gave him my number. Turning to leave I sprinted for the car with a cheesy wide grin on my face. As I climbed into Marie’s convertible my heart flooded with warmth as I saw him still standing there on the beach watching us as we pulled away to leave.
The entire drive home I couldn’t stop looking out the window as I replayed the whole night in my head. The conversations we had came so easily and we got along so well. It was like he was that missing puzzle piece in my life, and I loved the thought of talking with him once again.
“So, Miss Lucy care to tell us what’s going on in that head of yours?” Melissa tapped the back of my head and I cringed.
“Oh nothing, just pretty much everything that just happened last night.” Placing my elbow on the window seal for support I rested my chin on top of my fist. 
“What did he want anyways?” Marie looked over with suspiciousness in her tone.
“He wanted my number, and was wondering if I’d like to go out on a group outing or something. Would you guys be game?” I glanced sideways at Marie than in the rearview mirror at Melissa.
“Heck yea! His friends a flippin gorgeous!” Melissa was pretty much bouncing around the backseat with excitement written all over her face. That’s her for you though… she always had that overly bubbly personality that you can only take so much at a time.
Marie on the other hand not so much. She looked intrigued, but she also looked like she has a stick up where the sun doesn’t shine. She was pretty laid back for the most part, but everyone pretty much considered her to be a snob. Heck, get her a couple of drinks and she’s the craziest party animal you’ll ever meet though.
“So are you guys just going to crash over at my house today?” Leaning back into the soft leather seats I stared at Marie as she chewed away at the inside of her cheek.
“Yeah, if you don’t mind that is.” She glanced at me with a side smile and shrugged.
“If I minded I wouldn’t have brought it up you know.” I shot back at her as I resumed my watching out the window look so I wouldn’t have to laugh at her when she rolled her eyes.
Pulling into the gravel driveway of my small but nice little moss green home I let out a sigh of relief. I was exhausted and eager to climb into bed and I could tell my friends were thinking the same thing. Yanking out the old sleeping bags once again I leant out some of my old pjs and we all huddled up in the middle of my living room floor so we could finally get some shut eye.
Wiping the sleep from my eyes I heard my friends clanking pots in the kitchen. Groaning I sat up and stretched my tired limbs. The smell of mac and cheese wafted into the living room causing my stomach to growl hungrily.
Getting up I made my way to the kitchen in search from some of that yummy mac and cheese.
“Well look who it is. Think you slept long enough? It’s almost six at night.” Marie chided as
she plopped one of the silver pots into the soapy dish water. “Plus your phone has been ringing off the hook for the past hour.” She began to scrub away at the pots as Melissa handed me a bowl of mac and cheese.
“Thanks Mel.” Happily she shrugged and danced about the kitchen to a song she could only hear.
“So Lucy, do tell us what you think about this Ryan guy? We both could tell you were into him by how much you were eyeballing him last night.” They both plopped down in chairs next to me as I spooned a mouth full of food into my mouth.
“We both think he’s a pretty good guy, and might be a nice change from all the losers you end up dating.” Marie helpfully added in. Of course she would bring that up, but I can’t deny it I have dated plenty of those types in my lifetime.
“Well, I think the same thing. I don’t know what it was about him, but he just gave me that whole butterflies in my stomach feeling.” I sat back and sighed thinking about him again and causing both of my friends to crack up. Shooting them a glare they just laughed harder and pretty much fell off of their chairs.   
“Sorry, but you might want to check your phone. Remember I said it was ringing off the hook.” Rolling my eyes I got up and picked up my phone, and sure enough there were 4 missed calls and 3 text messages; all from which were from Ryan. My heart began to pound wildly as my phone began to ring again. His name blinked across the screen and a smile widened across my face as I glanced at my friends.  I took in a deep breath to slow my heart beat and steady my voice hoping I didn’t sound as nervous as I felt.

2 comments: